Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Please Give Me A Divorce

(Wow. Why didn't I think of that?! As if it was that easy.)

The last time I went to court my lawyer and I sat at the table facing the judge as she explained the situation, and the judge spent some time looking over the previous divorce paperwork. My lawyer helped the judge find the place where ex signed the previous papers, and then the last one he refused to sign. 

I sat there, anxiety ridden, worried that Ex would show up although my lawyer assured me he wouldn't be able to talk. This hearing wasn't about him.

Ex shot himself in foot again. He didn't sign form he insisted we redo for the fourth time because "the numbers weren't right". Unfortunately for him (I don't really think he thought it through) signing that last paper would have reduced his spousal support payment. I listened to the judge and my lawyer go back and forth for a little while, discussing where he signed and where he did not, looking for this page and that, when finally my lawyer said,

"Your honor, my client just wants to be divorced." 

That's when I piped up, "He's not going to sign anything else. He refuses to sign one more thing." 

The judge looked at me levelly, and said, "DONE! You're divorced.", and added that he was signing that I receive the higher amount of support that Ex last agreed to. 

$50 he would have saved by signing. I would have taken less. I just wanted it to be over.

I didn't realize until recently that refusing to sign legal papers is another form of emotional abuse. Well, it backfired on him this time.

I just wanted to be free of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment