Monday, January 27, 2014

I'm So Happy You Called Me Stupid (But If You Do It Again, I'll Beat You With Your Own Arm)

Deer Licks!

Second Son called me stupid last night, with a direct look to see what I would do.

I was ecstatic!

I hugged him and thanked him for it, totally confusing him. He asked me why, and I told him that I was very happy because he trusts me enough to challenge me, without worrying that I will shun him or leave.

He trusts me enough to try to piss me off!

I had this moment with Second Daughter a few months ago when she went all PMS cranky-tyrant, as well as using the PMS excuse on me. I told her it wasn't ok, she didn't HAVE to act that way - that it was a choice, that my feelings were hurt, and then walked away into the other room. It worked out well. She hasn't done it to me since.

I am grateful.

When I explained why I reacted the way I did to Second Son, he had an impish AHA! moment where he told me that he could call me names and get away with it! I firmly told him no (with a hug) that it’s not ok to call ANYONE names and that next time he wouldn’t get the excited treatment, and that I’d tear his arm off and beat him with it. I then pushed him onto the couch face first while holding his arms behind him. We did that joyously for about 5-10 minutes until dinner was ready.

Someday he may realize that everything he's doing has already been done by Son. I'll let him have his moments in the sun for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment